Posts for tag: Pregnancy
During your pregnancy, Pediatric Associates of Davidson County tracks maternal health and the health and development of that precious baby inside the womb. Why is this so important? Well, the American Academy of Pediatrics states that proper preparation for the arrival of your child is one of the largest factors to their long-term health and development. Read on to learn more about how your team of Nashville pediatricians can help you achieve an uncomplicated pregnancy deliver a thriving newborn.
Taking care of mom
During those nine months of pregnancy, maternal health and well-being depends on many factors, including:
- A healthy diet (low in fat and salt, high in fiber, calcium, and protein)
- Exercise (simple walking, swimming, etc.)
- Prenatal vitamins, including folic acid (to avoid spina bifida in the baby) and iron (to avoid maternal anemia)
- Routine OB/GYN check-ups to include ultrasound monitoring of the baby and checks for maternal weight, uterine size, gestational diabetes, high cholesterol, and hypertension, as well as issues with the placenta, fetal position, and more
- Being current on immunizations
- Avoiding tobacco, alcohol, and caffeine, as well as other risky behaviors
- Understanding the impact of family history and dynamics
Taking care of your baby
Stanford Children's Health states that low birth weight infants (those 5 pounds 8 ounces or lower) have difficulty thriving as they grow. They may struggle in learning to suckle, keeping a normal body temperature, and making gains in size and weight. Other medical complications, such as respiratory distress syndrome, are common, too.
In conjunction with your OB/GYN, your Nashville pediatrician will monitor fetal development and most importantly, help you understand your own needs and concerns throughout pregnancy. It is recommended that you undergo a one-on-one counseling session at Pediatric Associates of Davidson County, a friendly meeting where both mom and dad can ask questions regarding prenatal care, the pregnancy itself, maternal age, the birthing process and follow-up care for that beautiful newborn.
It's an exciting time
When you're expecting a new baby, you want to do all you can to protect and nurture your child. At Pediatric Associates of Davidson County, the professional and dedicated team will help you every step of the way. Please contact the office for a consultation with one of our physicians: (615) 329-3595.