Understanding your child’s immunization schedule is key to helping your child get a healthy start in life. Pediatric Associates of Davidson County helps parents and caregivers all over Nashville, TN with their pediatric concerns, including immunizations. What should parents look for when having their child immunized?
From birth to two months old, your child should receive a Hep B shot.
When your child is 2 months old, your little one will receive a round of vaccines that the Center for Disease Prevention says can be remembered as “DhRIP”: Diphtheria, Meningitis, Pneumococcal, and Polio.
Between 4-6 months old, your child will get boosters of DhRIP. Begin to have the influenza vaccine with these immunizations.
At 6 months, introduce another round of HepB and Polio vaccinations.
When your baby is about one year of age, they require Hib (Haemophilus influenza type b vaccine), MMR: Measles, mumps, and rubella (German measles) vaccine, PCV, and Chickenpox (varicella).
Here is a full list of the vaccines your little one should take, and when:
- HepA - Hepatitis A vaccine; given as 2 shots at least 6 months apart
- HPV: Human papillomavirus vaccine, given in 2 shots over a 6- to 12-month period. It can be given as early as age 9. For teens and young adults (ages 15–26 in girls and boys both), it is given in 3 shots over 6 months. It's recommended for both girls and boys to prevent genital warts and some types of cancer.
- Tdap: Tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis booster. Also recommended during each pregnancy a woman has.
- Meningococcal conjugate vaccine: And a booster dose is recommended at age 16.
- Meningococcal B vaccine (MenB): The MenB vaccine may be given to kids and teens in 2 or 3 doses, depending on the brand. Unlike the meningococcal conjugate vaccine, which is recommended, the decision to get the MenB vaccine is made by the teens, their parents, and the doctor.
If you have any questions about your loved one’s vaccination schedule, feel free to give Pediatric Associates of Davidson County a call in Nashville, TN. Contact us at (615) 329-3595 to get more information or schedule an appointment.