Latest News

Posts for: April, 2021

By Pediatric Associates of Davidson County
April 13, 2021
Category: Child Health Care
Tags: Mono   Kissing Disease   Mononucleosis  
MononucleosisMono, nicknamed the “kissing disease” because of how easily it spreads from person to person, is a viral infection caused by the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV). Pediatricians most often see this infection in teens and it may be mistaken for the flu. While most cases of mono will go away on their own, it can take months for a child or teen to fully recover. It’s important to be able to recognize the differences between the influenza virus and mono.

What are the symptoms of mono?

Symptoms will vary between children, teens, and adults. Children don’t typically show the standard symptoms of mono. In fact, mono might look more like a cold or flu in your little one. The classic symptoms associated with mono are more apparent in teens and young adults between the ages of 15 to 24 years old.

Classic mono symptoms include,
  • High fever
  • Extreme fatigue and exhaustion
  • Body aches
  • Muscle weakness
  • Swollen lymph nodes of the neck
  • Sore throat
  • Rash
  • Headache
Symptoms such as fatigue, body aches, and muscle weakness may be severe and can last for several weeks.

When should I turn to a pediatrician?

As you might already know, many of the symptoms above can be caused by colds, flu, and other infections that aren’t mono. If your child’s symptoms are mild, then you might not need to come into our office right away. Of course, if symptoms persist for weeks or get worse, then it’s time to visit your pediatrician.

You should call your pediatrician right away if,
  • Your child develops a severe headache or sore throat
  • Has seizures
  • Displays changes in behavior
  • Has a very high fever over 104 F
  • Is dehydrated
  • Develops a rash
While teens and adults can often be diagnosed through a standard physical examination, your pediatrician may need to perform blood tests to detect the Epstein-Barr virus in babies and young children.

If you are concerned that your teen may have mono, you must schedule an appointment with their pediatrician as soon as possible. While most cases will go away on their own without treatment, your child’s doctor can provide you with options for helping your child better manage their symptoms and feel better faster.

By Pediatric Associates of Davidson County
April 05, 2021
Category: Child Health Care
Tags: Child Care   Newborn  

Caring for a newborn can be a little overwhelming, even if you spent months reading everything you could find on newborn care. Taking a look at these common concerns just may answer a few of your questions. Your child's Nashville, TN, pediatricians at Pediatric Associates of Davidson County can offer recommendations and advice that will help you ensure that your baby is growing and thriving.

How often should my baby eat?

Bottle-fed babies usually need feedings every three to four hours, while breastfed babies feed every two to three hours. Of course, the ideal feeding schedule depends on your baby. If your newborn no longer seems interested in the bottle or breast, he or she is probably full.

Signs that your baby may not be getting enough milk or formula may include crying when feeding stops or fussiness. Failing to wet six to eight diapers daily after five days may also indicate that your baby isn't eating enough.

What can I do if I'm having trouble breastfeeding?

Breastfeeding sounds fairly straightforward, but it can be much more complicated than it seems. If you're having trouble with latching on, sore nipples, or are concerned that your baby isn't getting enough milk, get in touch with the Nashville, TN, pediatrics office. The pediatricians and physician assistants can offer suggestions that will make breastfeeding easier.

Is co-sleeping a good idea?

Sleeping with your baby is certainly more convenient for feeding, but the practice can be dangerous. If you fall asleep, you may accidentally roll over on your baby. It's best to follow the American Academy of Pediatrics recommendation and place a crib or bassinet in the same room with you rather than sleeping with your child.

When should I call the pediatrician?

You know your baby better than anyone else and can spot subtle differences in his or her appearance or behavior that may indicate a health problem. Give the office a call if you have any concerns or notice that your child has trouble breathing, their eyes or skin look yellow, or there are no bowel movements in the first two days after you bring your baby from the hospital.

Be sure to call the office if your baby produces fewer than three wet diapers per day, has a fever of 100.4 or higher, has diarrhea, is vomiting, or you see pus or swelling around the umbilical cord.

Do you have a question or concern about your newborn? Call (615) 329-3595 to reach your child's pediatrician in Nashville, TN, at Pediatric Associates of Davidson County.